Sunday, April 1, 2012

Public Apology for Offensive Remark

A sample letter of apology for an offensive remark, joke or insensitive comment made public on TV.

Dear All,

My name is Rafa S. I recently taped an interview for a show that, as you may have heard, went about as terrible as it could have gone for me. I made an unfortunate joke about what it is like to work with theater actors; a remark which offended countless artists the industry over. I do not defend this comment in any way. Even in the context of poor, ill-advised humor, my statement made light of an art that many among us hold dear and sacred.


Misguided comedy aside, what I meant to infer was that theater actors, in my estimation, are the pinnacle of the thespian craft. They do not put on airs or show up late or complain about the quality of the food or condition of the set and come in day after day after day for little to no money all for their love of acting and performance. It is the work that they feed on: the opportunity to bring life to a nebulous character on an inanimate page.

It was never my intention to look down on or demean stage actors in any shape or form. Some of my best experiences as a director are derived from the pleasure of working with theater people; to be able to feel the dedication and devotion they possess towards their art and to somehow allow that same commitment to diffuse into myself.

One of my dearest friends, my neighbor and actress in my movie, Bea, is herself a shining example of the passion of which I speak. It pains me to know I've hurt her so deeply in assaulting the craft that she loves so much. It is with a clear mind and heavy heart that I extend my heartfelt apology. I have offended any of you, I am sorry. If I've offended; anyone you love, I take the blame. If any of you feel sorry for me; please don't. I built my own coffin of words and nailed it shut with insolence.

Thank you for taking the time to read this. I don't expect to be forgiven, but I do hope my family is treated kindly.

Sincerely,
Rafa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...